When the mercury is heading to 40 degrees the best intentions can have the worst results, but knowing a few simple things will protect your beautiful garden from the unforgiving Australian heat.
- Water early morning or late afternoon
- Mulch around base of plant to keep soil cool and moist
- If a plant is really suffering, erect a shade-cloth cover
- Thoughtful planting: Australian natives or sun-hardened varieties; consider plant position in relation to existing shade/sun movement
- If all of the above fail, consider selling up and moving to Tasmania